Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My First Quilt

This is my very first quilt. I started with the pinwheel block. The fabric I bought at the local Goodwill store. I started sewing this on my grandmother's machine. I think the only thing I sewed together that day was a line of profanity. Especially when I realized I didn't have them all spinning in the same direction.
At this point is when I realized I didn't know what I was doing, and I left it sit. For well over a year I didn't touch it. I didn't know how to do the sashing, and I didn't know anything of seam allowance. It took intervention from an experienced quilter to get this finished.


Once I started understanding seam allowance I took off with quilting. Well this quilt actually isn't quilted, it's tied. One day I swear I will do that. I loved this for quite a while. Now it sits in a cabinet. I actually thought of quilting it in order to donate it. But it just didn't feel right. It's precious just because it was the start of an obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always wonderful to know that you have stopped by. All of your comments brighten my day!