Sunday, February 27, 2011

Why I wanted to quilt


I wanted to quilt because I have loved my grandmother's quilts. I'm lucky enough to have a few, and her sewing machine too. The sad thing is that it lives up in the attic. Personally I love my modern machine. But that's a whole other topic.


Anyway, I remember my grandmother's dark curly hair. How in the morning she would have her record player on; you would hear Charlie pride. But I also remember sitting in her room with her while she sewed. I was trying to catch the dog, he bit me. I never had the opportunity to learn quilting from her. But I felt her love at night as I slept under a blanket made for me. It was made out of corduroy and Sesame Street fabric. One one block I drew a smiley face, and my name with a marker. I got in serious trouble for that. But now that's what I think was special about it. It's been long lost. I really wish that I had known to value it more. Hindsight is always a kick in the rump!

My grandmother may have started this obsession, but I am following along. So for a while I will share the quilts and stories that I already have in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always wonderful to know that you have stopped by. All of your comments brighten my day!